Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A New Perspective


I haven't written since I came back from visiting Tennessee. I got back a the end of August, started my internship at the ministry September 2nd, and left the ministry October 14th. A month and half has felt more like nine, carrying a weight that I hoped would birth something beautiful. Instead, it's all a little like Benjamen Button. What was born was premature and already dying. I can only hope, and I have faith, that what was born will grow into something wonderful, and will end with a childlike wonder at miracles.

This Tennessee, Southern girl, stands now at the foot of the mountains, at the edge of the bay with arms wide open, welcoming the breeze on her cheek and the fog all around. It has been said time and time again, but I find it to be ever true that God does indeed work in mysterious ways. I've already learned so much...

1
God is no respecter of plane tickets or miles. His plan, if you are willing to follow Him, may cost you.

2
Even when God has brought you to the limit, to the edge, to the other side of the country, He doesn't leave you. He may be quieter than usual, but He's there.

3
People are people. Tennessee, Washington, student, graduate, ministry staff, alcoholic, mover and shaker, the one who doesn't budge... We're all broken. And we're all amazing.

4
God works just as much through the Pickle Barrel Bar or Lamar's Lounge as he does through Calvary Chapel church or the INN ministries. He speaks, he heals, he brings people together, and it's up to us to listen to where he has asked us to go or be. I was no closer or further from God in "ministry" than when I was at a bar with my dearest friends.

5
God must delight in the unfolding of his plan. Like watching a child on a scavenger hunt for buried treasure, the writer of the life map I'm on is smiling, I think, to watch me follow where he leads.

6
God brings people into our life unexpectedly, even for a month, that change us. God uses us to make each other better. The Emily's, Patrick's, and Ansel's will never be the Laurren's, the David's, or the Megan's, but just the opposite is true too. Everyone means something different, and every person is dear to me. I believe if we listen, God whispers and draws us near to each other so that we may delight and challenge each other for the better.

7
I am not always right. My way is not always the best. Sometimes it is better to listen and not to defend. Selfishness is a disease, and I am infected. Lord, and friends, have mercy on me.

8
Miles and time cannot separate us from Love. No matter if I don't see or talk to my friends at home for days, weeks, a month, I still love them and adore them more than I can explain. How much more is this true of God? He just keeps loving me, even when I'm far away from Him, even when I don't call or write.

9
The world is rich and full of beauty. I believe there is no place on earth that doesn't reveal the glory of God in some way. And as long as there are coffee shops and books and music and paintings and glasses of wine and cats that run away, the little things in life will continue to inspire me, just as much as the mountains, the bay, and the hills of my home.

10
I have discovered a passion that has been in my heart all along, but I n ever knew it. I love the South, and I believe God loves the South. He loves Africa, and the Dominican, and New Orleans and "those" places... He has blessed the Pacific Northwest with sustainability and affluence and a pretty cool culture, my heart and I believe God's too hold a place for the Southern skies. I see needs for better education, for a greener way of life, for economic stability in our communities. This may be my life-long passion. I don't know when I'll return... I guess when God is ready for me to, and when I do, I will run. I will fall down on my knees and praise the God who formed me from Alabama red clay and who made cotton and the sunset that disappears into the Tennessee River. I'll praise the God who carved the cliffs, who shaped the rolling hills, who makes thunderstorms for watchin' on front porches and who lights up the fireflies on Southern summer nights. And when I'm there, you can have my life Dear Dixieland. Until then, adieu.



Southern traditions in transition...



1 comment:

  1. Oh sweet friend. If this is the artwork that comes out of a day of prayer, I pray you will keep going back to these kind of days. Thank you for being so willing to pour your heart out on paper. I love you.

    ReplyDelete